Phil practices family law, including divorce and post-divorce proceedings, child support and parenting plan modifications, parental relocations, and juvenile court matters. He’s also listed as a Rule 31 mediator with expertise in collaborative divorce and collaborative practice. He has successfully kept more than 250 civil litigation and family cases out of court through mediation.
After earning his Tennessee law license in 1993, Phil tried cases at Manier, Herod, Hollabaugh & Smith in Nashville, TN. He and Mark Puryear founded Puryear and Newman in 1997, and PN+M Law was born in 2000 when the two recruited Chas Morton as a third member.
Phil handles cases in Williamson, Davidson, Maury, Dickson, Rutherford, Wilson, Cheatham and Montgomery Counties and has argued before the Tennessee Court of Appeals and Tennessee Supreme Court.
Raised in Brentwood, Tennessee, Phil and his wife Jude White now live in Nashville with their sons John Patrick and Joe. Phil loves great books, coaching youth sports, running, and spending Sundays at St. Patrick Catholic Church with his family.
- University of Tennessee (Juris Doctorate, 1993)
- University of Tennessee (B.S., 1988)
- Brentwood High School
Honors & Memberships
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Williamson County Bar Association
- Tennessee Association of Professional Mediators
- Board member, Children's House of Nashville Montessori School
- Finance committee member, St. Patrick Catholic Church
- Board President, 21st Judicial Drug Court